Clinical Assessment Service (CAS)
We currently provide Clinical Assessment Services as part of our Integrated Urgent Care (IUC) contracts for:
- Surrey CAS
- Suffolk and North East Essex (SuNEE) CAS
- North West London CAS in partnership with London Central and West Unscheduled Care Collaborative and London Ambulance Service
- Bristol, North Somerset and South Gloucestershire CAS in partnership with BrisDoc
- Gloucestershire CAS
- South West London in partnership with AT Medics.
In 2019 our SuNEE and Surrey CAS services handled in total 130,000 cases, averaging 10,000 to 12,000 cases a month.
In 2021 we averaged 11,429 calls per month between our South-East and North West London CAS services, handling a total of 274,313 calls. In 2022, with the introduction of our new Gloucestershire CAS and South West London CAS that will rise to 400,000 calls.
Our CAS are expert multi-disciplinary teams, consisting of:
- Advanced nurse practitioners
- Mental health advisors/nurses
- Dental nurses
- Prescribing pharmacists.
The team provide clinical support to call handlers and patients who come through NHS 111. They supply enhanced triage, advice and referral and are able to:
- Dispatch an ambulance if required
- Refer to and book in to other services such as an Urgent Treatment Centre (UTC), GP Practice, Community Service, or Out of Hours (OOH) appointment.
- Signpost to self-care management information and advice
- Provide prescriptions via EPS (Electronic Prescribing Service) to a nominated pharmacy.